读书语言·翻译

《伊索寓言》摘录中英合辑(Chapter1----10)

2017-05-08  本文已影响0人  潇漫

       源于一个契机,最近开始读英文版《伊索寓言》,都是简单的小故事,却还是经常有击中内心的寓言出现。感慨经典不愧为经典,最简单的故事,最深刻的道理,可能就是源远流长的智慧最迷人的理由吧。

       自己做了整理和翻译,作为记录也作为分享。

       不妥之处欢迎指正交流。

Chapter1

Don’t be proud of your natural abilities, be proud of what you do with them.

不要因为自己的天分而骄傲,而要为你用它们做了什么而骄傲。

Bravery in taking care of others is often well rewarded.

给别人的善意终会成为自己的福报。

Do not judge by appearances.

别轻易以貌取人。

Chapter2

Prepare today for the needs of tomorrow.

今天就要为明天而准备。

We should never look so high that we miss seeing the things aroud us.

不要因为看得太高远而忽视了近在身边一切。(不要因为仰望星空而忘了看清脚下的路。)

Don’t hurt yourself to get revenge on another.

别在报复别人的同时伤害了自己。

By hurting others,we often hurt ourselves.

伤害别人的同时往往也更容易伤到自己。

People often blame their misfortunes on their friends, ranther than their enemies.

我们总是将自己的不幸归咎于朋友,而不是敌人。

It takes all kinds of people to make human society work.

社会离不开每一个人的存在。(天生我材必有用。)

Chapter3

Sometimes it’s good to be unimportant.

有时候不重要也有不重要的好处。(我们不需要时时刻刻都重要。)

If you need something done properly,do it yourself.

想把事情做得更恰当,最好亲力亲为。

Evil signs are shown early in life.

积小恶成大患。(不好的迹象其实早有显露。)

Stop a boaster by putting his words to the test.

让吹牛的人停止吹牛的办法就是让他亲自展示一下。

Whatever you do, do with all your strength.

无论做什么,都应该尽力而为。

Do not attempt too much at once.

别想着一口吃成胖子。

Chapter4

A liar will not be believed even when telling the truth.

经常说谎的人到说真话的时候也没人相信。

Help is more useful than advice.

实质的帮助强于任何口头建议。

What we do for fun often makes great trouble for others.

小玩笑可能也容易给别人带来大麻烦。

We think about how others hurt us,but we don’t think about how we hurt them.

我们往往只看到自己被伤害,而忽略了自己是怎么伤害了对方。

Unity is strength.

团结就是力量。

If you do no useful work, you will not be missed.

如果你没有利用价值了,下一个牺牲的就是你。

Chapter5

Don’t be tricked twice by the same person.

别被同一个人耍两次。

Try as you may, it is impossible to deny your nature.

量力而行,人无完人。

Better the evil you know than the one you don’t know.

祸兮,福之所倚。(对于不好的事情,有时候你知道好过不知道。)

It’s better to teach than simply to tell.

实操重于说教。

Necessity is the mother of invention.

发明创造是因为有需要。

Chapter6

You can’t hide your true nature forever.

江山易改本性难移。(你永远藏不住你的本性。)

The ungrateful will not be helped a second time.

不懂感恩的人不值得帮助第二次。

Those whom you cannot always trust are not your friends.

与无法真正信任的人无法成为朋友。

It is not wise to be too greedy .

人不宜过于贪婪。

We should not prevent others from enjoying what we can’t enjoy ourselves.

不要以为自己不喜欢的东西别人也不喜欢。

He who lays traps for others is often caught by them himself.

多行不义必自毙。

Chapter7

If you’re not important, no-one will listen to you, even if you are right.

如果你不重要,没人会听你的,即使你是对的。

Be satisfied with what you have.

知足常乐。

Only fools try to take the credit which others deserve.

无功不受禄。

Don’t take your pretending too far, or you’ll be found out.

纸包不住火。(不要以为你的假装天衣无缝,久了总会被发现。)

Cheaters must expect to be cheated.

骗子也难免有被骗的时候。

False confidence often leads to danger.

过分自信往往很危险。

Chapter8

Thankful people will always find a way to show their thanks.

懂得感恩的人总能找到回报的方式。

To enjoy what we have, we must have freedom.

必须先有自由才能享受我们拥有的一切。

If you want to be happy, don’t compare yourself with others.

要想快乐就不要总与他人比较。

Sometimes ambition can lead us beyond the limits of our power.

有时候野心会误导我们高估了自己的力量。

Hard work is the key to prosperity .

勤劳致富。

Chapter9

Learn from the misfortunes of others, not just from your own.

不单单是自己,从别人的不幸中也要吸取教训。

The poor may not fear a change of masters in the way that the rich do.

奴隶不会害怕换一个主人。(奴隶易主依然是奴隶。)

Revenge is a two-edged swoed.

报复是把双刃剑。

They who ignore their old friend for new ones deserve to lose both.

喜新厌旧的人将失去所有朋友。

Chapter10

If you love someone, set them free.

爱他就成全他的自由。

It is very hard to forgive those whom we see every day.

要原谅一个经常碰面的人很难。

Be careful—you will be judged by the company you keep.

小心你的同伴影响了别人对你的评判。(别人会从你身边的人来判断你是怎样的人。)

Being too greedy for pleasure often leads to pain.

过于贪图安乐往往是痛苦的前兆。

上一篇下一篇

猜你喜欢

热点阅读