比尔盖茨在哈佛大学的演讲(12)
点击查看音频
We can make market forces work better for the poor if we can develop a more creative capitalism – if we can stretch the reach of market forces so that more people can make a profit, or at least make a living, serving people who are suffering from the worst inequities. We also can press governments around the world to spend taxpayer money in ways that better reflect the values of the people who pay the taxes.
我们可以让市场更好地为穷人服务,如果我们能够设计出一种更有创新性的资本主义制度——如果我们可以改变市场,让更多的人可以获得利润,或者至少可 以维持生活——那么,这就可以帮到那些正在极端不平等的状况中受苦的人们。我们还可以向全世界的政府施压,要求他们将纳税人的钱,花到更符合纳税人价值观 的地方。
If we can find approaches that meet the needs of the poor in ways that generate profits for business and votes for politicians, we will have found a sustainable way to reduce inequity in the world. This task is open-ended. It can never be finished. But a conscious effort to answer this challenge will change the world.
如果我们能够找到这样一种方法,既可以帮到穷人,又可以为商人带来利润,为政治家带来选票,那么我们就找到了一种减少世界性不平等的可持续的发展道路。这个任务是无限的。它不可能被完全完成,但是任何自觉地解决这个问题的尝试,都将会改变这个世界
so that
以便;结果,以致
1.You'd better write it down so that you won't forget.
你最好把它写下来,这样你就不会忘记。
2.I had overslept, so that I was late for the train.
我睡过头了,所以我没有赶上火车。
3.He hadn't studied hard so that he failed in the exam.
他没有努力学习,所以考试不及格。
at least
至少
1.I need to work for at least 8000 years to earn 800 million yuan.
我需要工作至少8000年,才能挣8亿元。
2.At least 60% of us now bathe or shower once a day.
现在我们当中至少60%的人每天淋浴或洗澡一次。
3.Don't worry At least you have a chance to try again.
别担心,至少你还有机会再试一次。
find sth to do sth
找个...做...
1.Maybe I will just find someone to marry someday。
也许有一天我会随便找个人结婚吗。
2.You 'd better find time to go home.
你最好找个时间回趟家。
3.I'm hungry now. I wanna go out and find something to eat.
我现在饿了。我想出去找点吃的。