Day596--In Stressful Times, Make
In Stressful Times, Make Stress Work for You
压力大的时候,让压力为你所用
--------From YLYK 每日外刊精读专辑
These are stressful times. Fortunately, we can actually use that stress to improve our health and well-being. Over a decade of research suggests that it’s not the type or amount of stress that determines its impact. Instead, it’s our mind-set about stress that matters most.
这是一个充满压力的时代。幸运的是,我们可以利用压力来让自己更健康、更幸福。十多年的研究表明,压力的类型或大小并不决定其影响。其实,我们如何看待压力才是最关键的。
Step 1: Acknowledge Your Stress
第一步:承认压力
Labeling your stress consciously and deliberately moves neural activity from the amygdala — the center of emotion and fear — to the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for executive control and planning.
主动地、下意识地描述你的压力,可以将神经活动从杏仁核——情绪和恐惧的中心——转移到负责执行控制和计划功能的前额叶皮质。
In other words, when we take a moment to acknowledge our stress, it moves us from operating from a fearful, reactive place to a position where we can be thoughtful and deliberate.
换句话说,当我们花点时间承认压力的存在时,我们能够从一种害怕、被动的状态,转变至一个可以从容思考的心态。
This step is also an opportunity to understand what’s at the heart of your personal stress or anxiety.
这一步也是一个让你了解自己的压力或焦虑核心的机会。
Step 2: Own Your Stress
第二步:“拥有”压力
The next step is to welcome, or “own,” your stress. We only stress about things that we care about. By owning our stress, we connect to the positive motivation or personal value behind our stress.
下一步是欣然接受或“拥有”你的压力。我们只会为自己在意的事情感到有压力。通过“拥有”压力,我们与压力背后的积极动机或个人价值联系在了一起。
Try completing this sentence about whatever was specifically stressing you out in step one: “I’m stressed about [insert stressor from step one] because I deeply care about …”
试着补全这句话,写出第一步中让你特别紧张的事情(不论是什么):“我对[插入第一步中的压力源]感到有压力,因为我非常在意……。”
Step 3: Use Your Stress
第三步:让压力为你所用
Connecting to the core values behind your stress sets you up for the third and most essential step: using or leveraging stress to achieve your goals and connect more deeply with the things that matter most.
与压力背后的核心价值联系在一起后,我们迈向第三步,也是最重要的一步:利用压力来实现你的目标,并与最重要的事情联结得更紧密。
Ask yourself: Are your typical responses in alignment with the values behind your stress? Think about how you might change your response to this stress to better facilitate your goals and your purpose.
问问自己:你面对压力的典型反应是否符合压力背后的价值观?想一想如何改变你对压力的应对,来更好地辅助你实现目标和目的。
生词好句
stressful UK /ˈstresfəl/ US /ˈstresfəl/ adj. 有压力的,压力大的
a stressful job 一项有压力的工作
a stressful task 一项有压力的任务
stressful days 压力大的日子
a stressful life 压力大的生活
determine UK /dɪˈtɜːmɪn/ US /dɪˈtɜːrmɪn/ vt. 决定
I am the only one to determine my own future.
只有我才能决定自己的未来。
impact UK /ˈɪmpækt/ US /ˈɪmpækt/ n. 影响
词义辨析:
influence是潜移默化的影响
impact是当头棒喝的冲击
mind-set UK /ˈmɑɪndˌset/ US /ˈmɑɪndˌset/ n. 心态
mind-set about sth. 看待某个事物的心态
acknowledge UK /əkˈnɒlɪdʒ/ US /əkˈnɑːlɪdʒ/ vt. 承认;认可
Harley-Davidson finally acknowledged their complacency.
哈雷戴维森终于承认了自满。
And once again, the HOGS are acknowledged as one of the best motorbikes in the world.
哈雷戴维森再次被公认为世界上最好的摩托车之一。
label UK /ˈleɪbəl/ US /ˈleɪbəl/ vt. 贴标签
amygdala UK /əˈmɪɡdələ/ US /əˈmɪɡdələ/ n. 杏仁核
deliberately UK /dɪˈlɪbərətli/ US /dɪˈlɪbərətli/ adv. 谨慎地,深思熟虑地
It’s my conscious and deliberate choice.
这是我自己经过深思熟虑的决定。
prefrontal cortex 前额叶皮质
executive control 执行控制
at the heart of sth. 处于关键、核心地位
For me, storyline is at the heart of any movie.
在我看来,电影的故事线才是关键。
A sets you up for B A为你筹备好去迎接B;A让你做好了准备去迎接B
Full preparation will set you up for meeting any upcoming challenges.
做好万全的准备,能让你得以应对未来所有挑战。
leverage UK /ˈliːvərɪdʒ/ US /ˈlevərɪdʒ/ vt. 利用(use sth. to maximum advantage)
be in alignment with sth. 符合(align with sth.)
Is your lifestyle in alignment with your values?
你的生活方式,是否符合你的价值观呢?
Is your conduct in alignment with your belief?
你的所作所为,是否符合你自己的信仰呢?
facilitate UK /fəˈsɪlɪteɪt/ US /fəˈsɪləteɪt/ vt. 促进,帮助,使……变得顺畅、容易
facilitate the development 促进发展
facilitate the sleep 促进睡眠
facilitator n. 协调者
In a way, the facilitator facilitates the meeting.
在某种程度上,协调者让会议顺利展开。