成长之路

英语笔记 | Level 13-Unit 5

2019-02-04  本文已影响2人  阿雅_Aya

Topic: Dealing with news


image.png

一、Reacting to news
对预料中的消息做出反应
你可以对消息作出不同程度的反应。如果它是预料中的消息,使用这样的表达方式:
Knowing you, I'm not surprised at all. 了解你,我一点都不惊讶。
Well, it has been in the cards. 嗯,这是预料中的事。
I could see this coming a mile off. 我早就看出这会发生。

对突发消息的反应
如果对出乎意料的令人惊讶的消息做出反应,用这样的表达方方式:
It came as a surprise to us all. 这出乎我们所有人的意料。
I, for one, certainly wasn't expecting this. 就我个人来说,肯定没想到这一点。
This is all a bit out of the blue. 这有点出乎意料。

二、Expressing empathy
将事情与你自己的经历连系起来
同情他人的一种方式是让他们知道你经历过类似的事情:
I know exactly how that feels. 我完全知道那感觉。
I've been there before. 我之前有经历过。
I understand what you're going through. 我明白你在经历的事情。

你可以通过表示情况超出你能理解的范围来承认某人的坏消息的严重性:
I don't know what I'd do if I were in your shoes. 我不知道如果我是你会怎样做。
I can't imagine how you must feel. 我无法想象你的感觉如何。
I can't even begin to understand what you're going through. 我甚至不能开始了解你正在经历的事情。

三、Events affecting business
反应和影响
政府往往为应对经济形势的变化来对经济政策进行改变。
reduce taxes on income 降低所得税
introduce a minimum wage 实行最低工资标准
lower interest rates 降低利率
cut business tax rates 削减企业税率

改变经济条件或政府政策可能会产生一些后果:
It might lead to companies adjusting their profit forecasts.
这可能会导致企业调整其盈利预测。
The executives may be forced to make a round of cuts to headcount. 高管可能会被迫进行一系列裁员。
They might have to put a cap on salary increases.
他们可能不得不把工资的涨幅上限。
Companies sometimes freeze their project pipelines.
公司有时会冻结他们的项目计划。

四、Gauging reaction and evaluating impact
谈到别人的问题
当负面事件影响人们时,你可以使用这样的表达方式来描述他们的反应:
They're taking it pretty well. 他们对它接受得很好。
She's surprisingly upbeat about it. 她对这表现出惊人的乐观。
He's not taking it too well. 他对它接受得不太好。
It's not going down too well over there. 那边进行得不太好。

你也可以描述事件的影响:
It has cut pretty deep. 这伤害得很深。
It's hit the company pretty hard, to be honest. 说实话,这对公司的打击相当大。
We've not been affected that much, funnily enough. 可笑的是,我们没有受到那么多的影响。
They got away with it, really. 他们避开了,真的。

五、Expressing certainty and doubt
你肯定吗?
在推测未来的时候,用这样的表达方式来说明事情不是很清楚:
It's all a bit up in the air. 这一切都悬而未决。
At the moment, it's anybody's guess. 现在,谁也说不准。
Your guess is as good as mine. 我也不知道。
It's going to be a bit of a waiting game. 这将会是有点伺机而动的情形。
It's too early to tell. 现在说还为时过早。

如果你对即将发生的事情更加确信的话,使用这种表达方式:
It's clear we need to do something. 显然,我们需要做一些事情。
I've got no doubt about it. 我没有疑问。
It seems pretty locked in. 看上去确定了。
There's an air of inevitability. 有不可避免的气氛。

六、Financial information
财务信息词汇
Our pension fund contains very few risky investments.
我们的养老基金包含了极少数的高风险投资。
My retirement plan contains mainly conservative investments.
我的退休计划主要是保守的投资。
Timing is everything in a volatile market.
时间在波动的市场中就是一切。
I wish it were a more stable market.
我希望它是一个更稳定的市场。
Savings accounts give guaranteed returns.
储蓄账户有保障的回报。

七、Distancing and adding disclaimers
限定和疏远一个观点
在讨论中,你可以添加免责声明来表明不确定性或者将自己远离观点来避免冲突:
It could be me, but I don't think that's the best idea right now.
这可能只是我,但我不认为这是现在最好的想法。
Well, I could be wrong, but the markets are just too volatile.
嗯,我可能是错的,但是市场太不稳定了。
I don't know how others see it, but this could be just a small loss.
我不知道别人怎么看这件事,但是这可能只是一个小的损失。
It seems to me that a retirement plan is the way to go.
在我看来,退休计划是最好的办法。

你也可以使用这样的表达方式来抽离事实和观点。
Generally, you'll find volatile markets during a slowdown.
通常情况下,你会在放缓过程中发现市场波动。
It appears that since interest rates went up, so has the market.
看起来,由于利率上升,所以市场上扬。
You're right about the market, to an extent.
在一定程度上,关于市场你是对的。

八、Restating opinions after objections
分歧和异议
这里有一些可以软化分歧避免冲突的方法。首先,不同意之前,承认你理解其他人的观点。
I hear you, but I'm not going, OK?
我听到你说的了,但我不会去,好吗?
I see where you're coming from, but I'm just not interested.
我明白你为什么这样说,但我就是不感兴趣。
I get your point, but I'm going to invest anyway.
我理解了,但我还是会去投资。

如果你听到对你的一个想法的强烈反对,你可以通过提醒一个重要的论点或事实来回复:
I hear you. But I can't ignore the fact that I've got too much stuff.
我听到你所说的。但我不能忽视的事实是我有太多的东西。

如果你预料到有分歧,你可以清楚地表明你只是提供你的观点。
Well, the way I see it, you just need to wait.
嗯,这件事在我看来,你只需要等。
Oh, it looked like a good prospect – for me, at least.
哦,这看起来像是一个很好的前景-至少,对我来说。
All I'm saying is take a closer look at this investment.
我所说的都是再仔细看看这项投资。
I see. The only thing is, the price has been rising for the last year. 我懂了。唯一的一件事是,去年价格一直在上涨。

九、Knowing what to edit
自我编辑过程
好的作者会一遍又一遍地阅读他们的作品来清理错误和提高他们的写作质量。在你将要自我编辑之前这是三个你要考虑的方面。

编辑内容
你回答了所有问你的问题了吗?你错过了什么要点了吗?哪些要点需要更加详细?

编辑结构
你有效地组织了你的文本来表达你想要说的内容了吗?强调你的主要观点的两个最好的方法是以它开始或结束。你用了哪一个?

编辑风格
你用一个适当的风格来写你的电子邮件了吗?应该是正式的还是非正式的?你是给别人信息还是想说服别人?

十、Writing concisely
如何使用主动和简明的语言
你可以用几个技巧使你的商业和学术写作更加清晰。首先,去除多余的表达方式。注意,每对句子的第二个版本更短-而且更有效。
Reflect back on what you write. 往前回顾一下你写的东西。
Reflect on what you write. 回顾一下你写的东西。

Let me know whether or not you'll attend. 让我知道你是不是会参加。
Let me know whether you'll attend. 让我知道你是否会参加。

We've hired a team of knowledgeable experts. 我们雇了一群知识渊博的专家。
We've hired a team of experts. 我们雇了一群专家。

去除不必要的重复。注意文章的第二个版本要短得多,并切中要点。整个第二句缩短到只有 May 3rd deadline。这是唯一重要的部分。
My team hit the deadline for the Crane project. The deadline for the project was May 3rd. The team also wrote the final report for the Crane project.
我的团队在规定期限内完成了吊车项目。项目期限是五月三号。团队还为吊车项目写了总结报告。

My team hit the May 3rd deadline for the Crane project and wrote the final report.
我的团队在规定的五月三号期限之前完成了吊车项目并撰写了总结报告。

尝试用主动动词来代替名词形式来写作。不要过度使用be。注意,每对句子的二次版本中的be被一个积极的动词所替换。
The software is for complete protection against viruses. 这款软件用于对病毒进行完全防御。
The software completely protects against viruses. 这款软件可以完全抵御病毒。

Mazo's new products are a threat to our profits. Mazo的新产品对我们的盈利是个威胁。
Mazo's new products threaten our profits. Mazo的新产品会威胁我们的盈利。

你可以用几个技巧使你的商业和学术写作更加清晰。首先,去除多余的表达方式。注意,每对句子的第二个版本更短-而且更有效。
The issue was analyzed by Canary Consult. 这个问题被金丝雀咨询公司分析过了。
Canary Consult analyzed the issue. 金丝雀咨询公司分析过这个问题。

The first deadline will be hit on September 5th. 第一个截止日将在9月5号来临。
We'll hit the first deadline on September 5th. 9月5号是我们第一个截止日。

上一篇下一篇

猜你喜欢

热点阅读