Chapter 12
The next planet was inhabited by a tippler.
小王子所访问的下一个星球上住着一个酒鬼。
This was a very short visit, but it plunged the little prince into deep dejection.
访问时间不长,可是它却使小王子非常忧伤。
"What are you doing there?" he said to the tippler, whom he found settled down in silence before a collection of empty bottles and also a collection of full bottles.
“你在干什么?”小王子问酒鬼。当时这个酒鬼默默地坐在那里,面前有一堆酒瓶子,有的装着酒,有的是空的。
"I am drinking," replied the tippler, with a lugubrious air.
“我喝酒。”他悲伤地回答道。
"Why are you drinking?" demanded the little prince.
“你为什么喝酒?”小王子问道。
"So that I may forget," replied the tippler.
“为了忘却。”酒鬼回答。
"Forget what?" inquired the little prince, who already was sorry for him.
小王子已经有些可怜酒鬼。他问道:“忘却什么呢?”
"Forget that I am ashamed," the tippler confessed, hanging his head.
酒鬼垂下脑袋坦白道:“为了忘却我的羞愧。”
"Ashamed of what?" insisted the little prince, who wanted to help him.
“你羞愧什么呢?”小王子很想帮助他。
"Ashamed of drinking!" The tippler brought his speech to an end, and shut himself up in an impregnable silence.
“我羞愧我喝酒。”酒鬼说完以后,就再也不开口了。
And the little prince went away, puzzled.
小王子迷惑不解地离开了。
"The grown_ups are certainly very, very odd," he said to himself, as he continued on his journey.
在旅途中,他自言自语地说道:“这些大人确实真奇怪。”