语言·翻译英语达人英语点滴

英语的句型(15)

2019-03-05  本文已影响38人  林间竹音

在前面一篇文章中,我们介绍如何用复合句进行翻译,讲到不对等连词用于副词主句的五种种类:时间、地点、方式、比较,和原因。本文继续讲述其他种类。

6. 目的:that, so that, in order that, lest, for fear等

他们因为怕赶不上火车,急急忙忙地走了。They hurried that (or so that, in order that) they might not (在口语中,美国英语一般用wouldn’t) miss the train.

要想动手搞另外的,你就得先把这个做完。Finish this that (or so that, in order that) you can start another.

当心别从树上掉下来。Be careful lest (or for fear [that]) you should fall from the tree.( lest 用 于 写 作, 说 话 时 则 用 for fear)。

为着要去早晨的新鲜空气把那问题仔细考虑一番,所以我出外散步了。I went out for a walk, so that I might think the matter over in the fresh morning air.

为节省时间,队长亲自装上了马鞍。The captain, in order that there might be no time lost, saddled his horse himself.

我们通常只是为求得到别人的称赞而称赞别人。We usually praise others only that we may be praised.

7. 结果:that, so that, so (or such)…that, so…but that等

我太疲倦,随即上床去睡了。I was so tired that I went to bed at once.

那使他大为震惊,登时脸都白了。It gave him such a shock that his face turned white.

他是那样的一个撒谎者,所以没有人喜欢他。He is such a liar that no one likes him.

那是一个非常愚笨的计划,谁也不赞成。It was a plan so stupid that no one approved of it.

我们经过长时间一直走得很快,所以十分疲倦了。We walked very fast for a long time, so that we got quite tired.

他去得早,所以占了一个好位子。He went early so he got a good seat.

他说得那般清楚,我们每个字都听得见。He spoke so clearly that we could hear every word.

你站近些,使我可以看清楚你的脸。Draw nearer so that I can see your face.

她说的话那般有趣,使我既不知道也未注意时间的流逝。She interested me so much that I neither knew nor heeled how time passed.

我微不足道,无可效劳。I am such a tiny thing that I am little use to you.

没有一个人老得不能学的。No man is so old but that he may learn. (However old a man may be, he may learn.)

无论怎样的难事久练自易。Nothing is so hard but that it becomes easy by practice.

不雨则已,雨必滂沱(重重不幸,祸每两临)。It never rains but it pours. (=It never rains without pouring.)

裁判虽属公平,仍然有人不服。Justice is never done but some people will be found to complain.

一定有事要发生的。It cannot be but that something will happen. (=Something must happen.)

人谁能免于过失。It is impossible but that a man will make some mistakes.

8. 条件:if, unless, provided (that), in case (that), on condition (that), in the event (that),  supposing (that), suppose (that)等

你如果明天有空,请来我家坐坐。If (you are) free tomorrow, please come to see me.

只要你一年内还我,我是可以把那笔钱借给你的。I don’t mind lending you the money provided (that) you pay it back within a year.

你要不是一个完全的笨蛋,你就不会那样对待你叔叔的。Unless you are a perfect fool you will behave properly to your uncle.

只要有二十个人肯捐一百元,我也就照捐不误。I will subscribe a hundred provided twenty others will do the same.

即令发生最坏的情形,至少她也就有一个安全的地方可作退步的。At least there will be a retreat secured for her in case the worst should ensue.

非我喝酒,他不罢休。Nothing will content him but I must drink.

若非贫穷,我是决意要出国去的。I would go abroad but that (=but for the fact that) I am poor.(but for my poverty.)

无论如何必须达到我的目的(不达目的,事必棘手)。It shall go hard but (=unless) I will accomplish my purpose.

9. 让步:although, though, as, if, even if, notwithstanding (that), whether等

虽则天气很冷,他并没有生火。(Al)though it was cold, he did not light the fire.

无论他成败如何,我们都要尽力帮忙。Whether he succeed(s) or fail(s), we should have to do our best.

即令他穷,他看上去很快乐。If he is poor, he looks happy. (if=even if)

哪怕我有钱,我也要工作。Even if I were rich, I would work.

就算这是真的,那又怎样?Granting (or Granted) that this is true, what follows?

天虽然黑了,我们还是找到了回家的路。Dark as it was (=Though it was so dark), we found our way back. (注意:as如用名词,也要将冠词略去,如Poor piper as I am. = Though I am a poor piper.)

他虽然吓坏了,但并没有倒下。Startled though he was, he did not lose his balance.

糖虽然是一种主要的食料,我们却不能以之为生。Important as sugar is as an article of food, we cannot live upon it.

哪怕牺牲生命,他也要干到底。He will go through with it if it costs him his life.

即令你向他提出,他也不会接受的。Even if you offer it to him, he won’t accept it.

他虽然有时会感冒,但是身体极其强健。He is extremely strong -- not but that (=though) he will catch a cold at times.

(三) 用于名词子句的:that, whether, if, who, which, how, when, where, why等

他曾到此是确实的。That he was here is true. (注:It is true that he was here.是副词子句)

我想他在城里。I think (that) he is in town.

他说他要来的。He said (that) he would come.

你不能来使我感到遗憾。I am sorry (that) you can’t come.

不知道他是否在家。I wonder if (or whether) he is at home (or not).

我相信他说的不错,而到现在为止谁也没有讲过这岛上的状况。I believe (that) he was really right, and that nobody had told the situation of the island.

我不知道我能不能进大学。I don’t know whether I shall be able to go to college or not.

问他是不是到动身的时候了。Ask him if it is time to start.

我不清楚是他要打梅先生,还是梅先生要打他。I am not clear whether he was going to strike Mr. Mell, or Mr. Mell was going to strike him.

他问我是不是有什么要他做的事情。He asked me if I had any business he could arrange for me.

他一再问我在那里是不是有事情要办。He repeated the inquiry if I had any business there.

他做出这样的愚行来真是遗憾。It is to be regretted that he should have committed this foolish act.

他完全相信他父亲会替他还债的。He had a perfect belief that his father would pay his debt for him.

谁是下届美国总统尚未决定。Who will be the president of the U.S.A. next time is undecided.

我问你在这三者之中最喜欢哪一个。I ask you which of the three you like best.

我要用你所喜欢的名字来叫你。I will name you what you like.

我不知道他怎样完成那工作的。I know nothing as to how he has finished his work.

他要何时回家,连他太太都不知道。When he will come home is not known to his wife.

我要把这个送给任何需要它的人。I will give this to whoever wants it.

听说他要来,我们都高兴。The news, that he will come, gives us much pleasure.

我确信他必成功。I do not doubt (but) that he will succeed. (注:这个来自法语的否定后的but是无意义的,下同。)

我不否认他是勤快的。I do not deny (but) that he is diligent.

他的年轻并不妨碍他教书。His youth hinders not but that he may teach. (=His youth does not hinder him from teaching.)

没有什么事可以妨碍我完成目的。Nothing shall hinder but that I will accomplish my purpose. (=Nothing shall hinder me from accomplishing my purpose.)

或者如此,亦未可知。Who knows but it may be so?

英语的句型以前发布的文章链接:

英语的句型(14)

(未完待续)

(注:摘自钱歌川的《翻译的技巧》)

上一篇 下一篇

猜你喜欢

热点阅读