乐其英语|乐在其中

比尔盖茨在哈佛大学的演讲(11)

2018-10-05  本文已影响1人  老祝读书

点击查看音频

If you believe that every life has equal value, it’s revolting to learn that some lives are seen as worth saving and others are not. We said to ourselves: "This can’t be true. But if it is true, it deserves to be the priority of our giving."
如果你相信每个生命都是平等的,那么当你发现某些生命被挽救了,而另一些生命被放弃了,你会感到无法接受。我们对自己说:“事情不可能如此。如果这是真的,那么它理应是我们努力的头等大事。”
So we began our work in the same way anyone here would begin it. We asked: "How could the world let these children die?"
所以,我们用任何人都会想到的方式开始工作。我们问:“这个世界怎么可以眼睁睁看着这些孩子死去?”
The answer is simple, and harsh. The market did not reward saving the lives of these children, and governments did not subsidize it. So the children died because their mothers and their fathers had no power in the market and no voice in the system.
答案很简单,也很令人难堪。在市场经济中,拯救儿童是一项没有利润的工作,政府也不会提供补助。这些儿童之所以会死亡,是因为他们的父母在经济上没有实力,在政治上没有能力发出声音。
But you and I have both.
但是,你们和我在经济上有实力,在政治上能够发出声音。

it’s revolting to do sth

做某事令人反感的

1.It’s revolting to eat dog meat
吃狗肉令人作呕。
2.It’s revolting to leave rubbish everywhere
到处乱扔垃圾令人反感。

3.It’s revolting to speak loudly on the subway
在地铁上大声说话是令人反感的。

deserves to do sth

理应/值得做某事

  1. "Ruyi's royal love in the palace" deserves to be watched
    《如懿传》值得一看。

2.If anyone deserves to be happy, you do.
如果有谁应该获得幸福的话,那就是你。

3.Every Tang poetry deserves to be recited
每一首唐诗都值得背诵

have no power

没有力量

1.Fan Bingbing has no power over me anymore.
范冰冰对我再也没有诱惑力了。

2.I think I have no power to achieve my dream.
我想我没有能力实现我的梦想。

3.You have no power to inhibit me to do anything.
你没有权利阻止我做任何事。

欢迎关注乐其英语I乐在其中公众号,附有到演讲音频
上一篇下一篇

猜你喜欢

热点阅读