英语丰富多彩的习语

knock socks off,不是脱掉袜子的意思

2020-07-22  本文已影响0人  外语行天下

脱掉袜子用英语表达是 take off socks,而短语动词 knock something off 通常意为“下班,停止某事,降价,减少,使贬值”,例如:

What time do you knock off work?

你什么时候下班?

The news knocked 13% off the company's shares.

这消息使公司股价下跌13%。

knock socks off 不是脱掉袜子的意思,它是一个习惯用语,可以意为“留下深刻印象,使大吃一惊,远远超过或胜出”等,寓意:

doing something which was never done before

做一些以前从未做过的事

impressing someone

给某人留下深刻印象

showing something astonishing

表现出惊人的东西

to excite someone

使某人兴奋

performing something outclass

表演出类拔萃的东西

还有一个类似的表达方式:blow socks off.

例如:

Lara's performance at the concert last night just knocked my socks off.

劳拉昨晚在音乐会上的表演使我大吃一惊。

The color that John has chosen to wear for his birthday party really knocked my socks off.

约翰在生日聚会上选择的颜色真让我大吃一惊。

With your new makeover, you will knock their socks off.

你改头换面,会让他们大吃一惊的。

This exciting news knocked the socks off of everyone in the school.

这个令人兴奋的消息使全校所有人都大吃一惊。

This movie just knocked my socks off.

这部电影使我大吃一惊。

Coleen knocked the socks off the other participants in the arts and craft competition of the year.

科伦在今年的工艺美术比赛中远远超过其他参赛者。

To knock their socks off, you have to go out of your comfort zone and do something unexpected.

为了给它们留下深刻的印象,你必须走出你的舒适区,做一些意想不到的事情。

这个习语跟 bite head off 有点类似,可以结合它们一起形成记忆链条。

上一篇下一篇

猜你喜欢

热点阅读